Tuesday, August 19, 2008

100 Words FRESH

(This is my first attempt at the 100 Word Challenge. I hope you enjoy my take on fresh.)


She walks the produce isle of the market looking for something that will tempt her. Her eyes survey the fresh foods artfully stacked in bins. She takes in their colors and smells. She hesitates. Her hands cradle a large rough melon. She inhales the sweet smell of ripeness and listens to the dull thump that matches the thumping of her heart. Her mind says, “This one’s perfect.”

Her heart answers, “They are his favorite.” Tears fill her eyes. She turns and walks slowly back down the isle. Like the produce the memories are too fresh, too painful. Her heart always wins.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooo, I like this very, very much. That came right from the heart. And that's just where it went, too. Straight to the heart. Lovely, lovely piece.

Well done you. Well done.

Did you post a link back on Velvet's blog? I'll check.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, Patsy, that's lovely! To think of a memory tied up in the thunk of a melon... it's very touching.

Thanks for visiting my 100 words this week. I think I'm going to expand it into a longer scene; it's always fun to write about Mitchell and Amy together.

amanew said...

That was sweet.

Anonymous said...

Ooo like the picture that's worth a thousand words, a book has been written in a hundred!

Momisodes said...

Very nice. I love heartfelt posts like this. Well done. So glad you joined in!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patsy,

Thanks for joining in the 100 Word challenge. I'm always happy to see new faces! This was a heartbreaking piece. Missing someone...all the reminders...heartbreaking.

new challenge is going up today!