Thursday, November 1, 2007

Day 1 A Place to Start

I am not really a well read person. Oh, I enjoy reading, but most of the things I read are considered fluff reading. Even a good suspense thriller that can hold my interest for a couple of weeks (I'm not necessarily a fast reader) will soon be forgotten --- And don't ask me about authors! I can barely remember my own name so why should I even try to remember the name of some guy whose book I'm reading? However there are exceptions, although there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why somethings have stayed with me. But at the time I was reading I was moved and because I was moved I remember. It might be just one line, or a scene I think the author has done a good job describing, and I do have a couple of whole books that I can give you a synopsis of. But for the most part I read purely for the enjoyment at the moment.
Now all of that was said to talk about one line that from a book that I remember reading when I was in 5th grade (or it might have been 6th -- not really important). I remember this line because I thought it a strange way to start a book and it was the first time I had ever had an author catch my attention like that. Later as a English/writing teacher in grades 4, 5, and 6 I used this line to try to instill in my students the importance of a good beginning sentence. I'm not sure I ever got my point across, but I did get the line back whenever it was time for them to write an autobiography. Of course, the line is from David Copperfield and is the opening sentence of the book. Simply, "I was born." To me that sentence just seemed magical and still does. I remember thinking at age 10 or 11, "Wow, what is this book going to tell me --- what will transpire, what mysteries will be revealed?" (Athough I probably didn't think those words, I had that sense of wonder.) I read the book, did the book report (kept it for years, but somewhere between then and all my life that has passed the report is gone) and kept that one line of literature that still stirs in me when I read an autobiography. So tomorrow I will start my autobiography. And yes it will begin, "I was born."

No comments: