Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 21 Thanksgiving Eve

I cooked, and I cooked, and I cooked today. That might be a slight exaggeration, but it felt that way to me. I started the morning making the cornbread and biscuits for the stuffing which I will make tomorrow. Then I made Granny's Cranberry Relish. Next was the Pumpkin Spice Cake and then Carrie's Make-a-head Mashed Potatoes. Once the cake was cooled I made the frosting and assembled the cake. (Three layers---looks pretty good.) I had to make the dressing for Aunt Allie's Fruit Salad, and finally I dumped the strawberries, peach pie filling, and pineapple tidbits together for the Strawberry Trifle.
In the morning I cook the turkey, make the stuffing, warm up the beans, potatoes and make the bread. I'm thinking that it isn't going to be as easy as I thought it would be to get everything on the table by say 2:00 or maybe a little
earlier. Hopefully everyone will be patient with me. I don't cook often and I sure don't prepare this much food very often so timing is a little hard to get down. This is when it would be good to have two ovens, but alas I only have the one and I know I'm not the only cook to have made Thanksgiving dinner for a family with only one oven. If the women of the '50s could do it I CAN TOO!
It is now 11:45 and I think I'll check a couple more cooking things then head to bed. I have a feeling tomorrow will be a long day.
I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. God Bless.

No comments: