Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 6 I Thought I Wanted a Boy

My first pregnancy came long before there were EPTs so I didn't know I was pregnant for sure until that magic three missed periods and a visit to see the doctor to confirm it. I count myself among the lucky women who are meant to get pregnant because I didn't get sick or have any of the other problems that so many women suffer with during this time of *glowing*. As far as cravings went I only had one and that was peanut butter. I once sat and ate a whole jar of peanut butter --- I still love peanut butter :)

I had no idea if I was having a boy or a girl. (No sonograms either unless you were a high risk pregnancy.) I really wanted a boy because boys are so scarce in my family. I already had two nieces and to have the first male grandson for my daddy would have been quite the coup. Not to happen. Doctor Wright supposedly told my mother that it wouldn't be long before I was back trying for a boy again. I guess I said something in the delivery room when he told me I had given birth to a 7 pound 1 ounce daughter. I have no idea what I might have said, I just remember being glad it was all over and that the baby was crying and in good hands. When they finally brought her over to me she was bundled up and beautiful. Even though she only weighed 7 lbs she was round and pudgy because she was only 19 inches long. I was thrilled to have her.

I have lots of stories about Donna, but my favorite happened when she was about 7. We were visiting the zoo in Fort Worth and had just stopped to look at the polar bears. Donna asked very seriously, "Mom, do they keep the bears iceolated?" Thinking she was saying isolated I answered that the polar bears were kept away from the other bears. This answer did not satisfy her and she asked again, "Do they keep the bear iceolated -- you know cold?" That is when it dawned on me that she was asking if the bears were refrigerated. Guess we called the refrigerator the ice box too much.

Another cute Donna stories is when she told me at about age 4 that I needed to haw my glasses when I was fussing around one day trying to clean them. I had no idea what she meant until she demonstrated. She took the glasses and breathed over the lens making a hawing sound as she did. Then she took her fingers and smeared the haw around. Seems that is how Granny Cartwright always cleaned hers.

Such was Donna as a child. Curious, observant and intelligent. She was a handful at times but always a joy. I'm glad I had a girl and not a boy that March day way back in 1971.

No comments: